When people want to replace the flooring in their homes, they will not always look beyond the obvious options. For instance, tiles and hardwood floors will probably be among the most common flooring options that people consider. Those looking for more cost-effective options might look at laminate and vinyl flooring. However, only a few will even think of considering the merits that bamboo floors offer.
This can be quite surprising given that bamboo floors offer a viable and eco-friendly alternative to hardwood floors. In terms of durability and cost, bamboo floors offer superior levels of durability. Yet, they don’t cost as much as hardwood floors do. In addition, bamboo floors come in a diverse range of styles, colours and sizes. Thus, finding a bamboo floor that suits your home interiors as well as your personal aesthetic quotient hardly presents any difficulty.
Some homeowners often find themselves in a dilemma when selecting their new flooring. For some people, the cost-effectiveness and environment-friendly bamboo remains a clear pick. For others, the warmth and comfort that carpet floors offer gives these floors an unbeatable edge. In case you want to determine which of the two makes for a better investment, you will need to do some background research before you visit a flooring showroom. Considering the following aspects might enable you to make an informed decision too:
- The Choice: Carpets come in an infinite range of colours, patterns and styles. Thus, matching a carpet to your existing interior décor remains easy. In contrast, bamboo floors come in a limited range of colours and styles. But, the range of options continues to grow with each passing day. Bamboo floors nowadays come in traditional natural and carbonised colours – including dark browns and greys.
- The Cost: Good quality carpets will cost you almost as much as good bamboo floors. Having said that, the price of new bamboo floors will almost always surpass that of good carpets. But, your bamboo floors will last you for much longer than your new carpet floors.
- The Expected Lifetime: If looked after properly, bamboo flooring could last you for decades. Naturally, it will develop scratches, scuff marks and dents over time. But, you will be able to remove this by sanding out the floor and refinishing it. In contrast, carpets will not last you for more than 10 years. Once damaged by stains or spills, carpets can start to look quite shabby. Repairing carpets can be difficult too. And, unlike bamboo floors, carpets can go out of fashion or look dated.
- The Maintenance: Maintaining bamboo flooring can be very easy. A simple sweep each day will remove the dirt and dust accumulated on it. Use wooden floor cleaning sprays along with microfibre mops to eliminate tougher stains. Carpets will require regular vacuuming and cleaning with cleaning machines for eliminating odours and stains. In some cases, removing a stain from the carpet could well be impossible.
- The Comfort: Walking barefoot on carpets remains an immensely comfortable experience. However, carpets can be warmer as well when compared to bamboo floors. At the same time, you can make bamboo floors warmer too. These floors can be compatible with various underfloor heating systems.
- Miscellaneous: Carpets can trap dust, mould, pet hair and dirt. This makes it easier for dust mites and other microorganisms to proliferate. Not even a powerful vacuum cleaner will be able to eliminate these allergens. Bamboo floors do not facilitate the building up of allergens. Thus, they can be a boon for people suffering from various allergies. In addition, bamboo floors will be highly sustainable and eco-friendly. A fast-growing, self-generating grass, bamboo remains a natural material. In contrast, carpet manufacturers often use various synthetic and artificial products for producing carpets. Some of these could contain various harsh chemicals.
For more information on flooring, contact Engadine Floor Store today.