Carpets do not merely look and feel warm. It can be exceedingly comfortable to walk upon as well. Walking barefoot on ‘cold flooring’ such as tiles in winters can be quite uncomfortable. In contrast, treading on soft carpets will always be comfortable. Some people feel that carpets can seldom deliver a contemporary visual appeal in modern homes. However, this opinion does not hold true always. As long as you do the homework necessary, you will be able to find carpets that exude a modern and contemporary look. More importantly, you will not need to sacrifice comfort and warmth for style.
To pick the best carpet for your home, consider the following aspects:
- The Durability: Hard flooring will typically offer superior levels of durability. Cleaning these floors will be easier too. For these reasons, many homeowners avoid buying carpet flooring. But, it can be worth mentioning that carpet manufacturing companies use a diverse selection of fibres for manufacturing carpet flooring. Some fibres offer superior levels of robustness as compared to others. In addition, they do not require much maintenance as well. To pick a durable carpet, examine aspects such as the face weight, the density rating and the tuft twist. Carpets often come with a star-rating (out of six) that denote the performance of the carpet in wear and performance tests. The higher the rating, the more durable the carpet will be.
The Fibres: Carpets typically comprise different kinds of fibres. Nylon fibres can be durable, water-resistant and easy to clean. They can provide some protection from permanent staining. But, they might not look or feel as luxurious as carpets featuring other fibres. Polyester fibres will be much softer than nylon ones. But, they might not be comparable in terms of their durability. In terms of durability and luxury, woollen fibres can be unbeatable. These fibres do - not absorb water easily. And, they can resist staining as well. But, woollen carpets might not appropriate in modern homes. To pick a good carpet for your modern home, opt for one that features blended fibres.
- The Pile: Carpets usually feature woven or tufted piles. Companies manufacture carpets with woven tiles with the help of traditional loomed methods. Because of this, carpets with woven fibres will be relatively costlier than their tufted counterparts. For producing tufted carpets, workers punch the yarn into a base material. This process minimises the use of machinery for making carpets. As a result, not only does it become easier and faster to produce these carpets. Their prices will be a lot lower too. Tufted pile carpets come in various types. Looped, flatweave, Saxony, shag, velvet and twisted carpets denote different forms of tufted pile carpets.
- The Softness: Modern living areas will rarely be soft. Therefore, owners of modern homes will do well to purchase short-pile carpets featuring manmade fibres. In some cases, short-pile carpets featuring a combination of natural and manmade fibres might be worthwhile too.
- The Colour and Design: Depending on your personal tastes and preferences, you might need a plain carpet or a patterned one. Patterned carpets might not seem appropriate in modern homes. However, these carpets can transform contemporary spaces quite easily. For instance, in minimalist rooms, patterned carpets can provide an effective counterpoint. Similarly, some people might feel that modern homes typically feature neutral or subtle shades. But, this will not always be the case. Carpets and rugs in NSW and other places that feature bold colours could infuse your living spaces with the right amount of pizzazz. Use carpets with rich reds, blues and greens to enhance the visual appeal of your home interiors. Alternatively, if your home already features sufficient levels of colour and texture, carpets with neutral or pastel shades might be beneficial.
- The Padding: Contemporary spaces usually require flatter carpets. This involves purchasing carpets that have the thinnest of padding beneath. Ideally, you should buy carpets with padding that comprises rubber or memory foam. At the same time, ensure that the carpet looks good and complements other elements in the space you place it in.
For more information on our products and services, contact Engadine Floor Store today.