Before you go shopping for the best flooring material, you will need to do your homework. It might be a good idea to read up on the diverse kinds of flooring materials on offer. It will be useful to understand the features, the merits and the drawbacks that each flooring option typically offers. Once you’re aware of these details, you will need to specify your own requirements as well. Knowing what you require and the options available, will help you make an informed decision when you make your purchase.
The first decision that you’ll need to make is whether timber flooring is the best of all the other flooring materials available. Once you’ve settled this question, you will need to consider what kind of timber flooring will suit your requirements the best. Timber flooring comes in numerous grades, types, styles and finishes. As such, making this decision can be equally difficult. In some cases, your personal tastes and preferences might not suit your requirements. Therefore, before you consider investing in timber or laminate flooring in your Wollondilly property, you will need to consider:
- The location of the room in the house, as you cannot install solid hardwood flooring below ground level
- What you use the room for i.e. for rooms with high moisture levels, opt for engineered hardwood floors etc.
- The foot traffic that the room typically experiences – the higher this is, the harder the wooden flooring that you’ll require
- Whether you have children or pets – households with both will require wooden flooring that is highly durable and doesn’t wear easily
- Whether the room has a door that leads outdoors – if so, you’ll require rugs and doormats to minimise the damage that dirt and grit can cause to the wooden flooring and,
- The amount of sunlight that the room receives, so that you pick wooden flooring that doesn’t fade because of prolonged exposure to sunlight